Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Welcome to the National Unity Blog

This is my first blog, but in the aftermath of a painful presidential election, I felt compelled to start something positive. This blog is about unity. It is not about policy, divisiveness, anger, hatred, Democrats or Republicans. I feel a lot of frustration right now, but I don't think those feelings are productive. In order to make this country work again, we as a society need to regain each other's trust. I don't know if we are as divided as this election has made it seem, but regardless, our first effort needs to be working together on something simple. If everyone could agree to smile for a moment as a cheesy example. Once we work together a bit, hopefully we'll discover each other's humanity and gain a little bit of trust. With that trust, we can have a guarded conversation about something of consequence, like the value of sharing. And only after we have had a number of positive-oriented conversations about our points of agreement should we venture into our more complex differences because without a foundation of trust and respect we'll never communicate. It's hard enough for me to trust my wife when we're in an argument, and I know she loves me. The chances of me trusting a stranger in an argument is much more remote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home